Many people want to do a juice fast, but wonder if it is safe for your body and healthy for your overall health.
You are right to ask this question.
It is important to gather as much information as you possibly can before undertaking an extended fast (more than 3 days).
Some questions you might consider:
- Are you in the right frame of mind to do this? In other words, do you have enough information (data) to ‘satisfy’ the mind, if you don’t, you will find yourself questioning your decision and thinking negatively about the whole experience and, well, that won’t support you to complete your fast (or even begin it!).
- Are you emotionally ready? We often find that people read up on doing a fast, or may have friends that have done them and so they gather the information and know what to do, but they haven’t factored in the emotional side of fasting. Yes, there is an emotional side. You need to be prepared for the emotions to be released as you cleanse and you need to support yourself to let them go, otherwise you will end up breaking your fast or being overwhelmed by the experience. So, how do you do this? Well, I like to create a vision board.
- Do you have support? It is important to connect with other like-minded people when doing a fast so they can support you and help you when/if you have any challenges. There are plenty of Facebook groups – Joe Cross, Tyler Tolman, Jason Vale who have large communities that help people with their fasting. These groups are great because they are filled with people who have done extended fasts and who are a wealth of knowledge and wisdom (from having done it themselves). If you are dealing with a health challenge, it may also pay to get professional advice/support before you undertake a fast.
- Do you have the right equipment? Depending on what type of fast you are going to do, water, juice, plant-based, raw or abstain from alcohol, social media, drugs, negative thinking etc.. you quite possibly will need some equipment – a juicer, recipe books, distractions etc.. to help you with your fast. I use and promote Kuvings Cold Press Juicer for all of the juicing I do. We use their commercial juicer for our day to day (pretty much because we do a lot of juicing) but, the EVO820 is by far the best juicer money can buy – so, you can check it out here. And, if you use the code foodies5 you will get a further 5% off the price.
- Is it the right time? As well intentioned as you may be, it’s probably no good thinking about doing a fast during the festive season, or any other time of year (your birthday) when you have a full social calendar. Make sure it is the right time for you to undertake this. Clear the social calendar and commit to your goal, tell your friends/family that you are doing it (or stay away from them, sometimes that helps) and take the pressure off.
- Do you know what to do if something ‘bad’ happens? What happens if you can’t cope? What will you do if you break out in a rash, feel nauseous, can’t get off of the toilet? How will you cope with the mood swings, headaches, feeling tired? Yes…these are all quite possible – but they are only deemed ‘bad’ if you are not prepared – which means you don’t feel safe and informed so, the negative nellies will spin your mind down all sorts of negative pathways. But, the key is to be informed, to have support, to be emotionally ready and to be prepared for the journey – whatever it brings. The worst that can happen is you stop. You break your fast and you resume ‘normal life’. At least you gave it a go, as the old saying goes ‘if at first you don’t succeed…try, try again!’
Whatever you are fasting from – food, negative thinking, social media, alcohol etc.. I wish you well on your journey. May you find solace knowing it can be safe and healthy providing you have the right information and support to guide you on your path.